About Me

My photo
Dallas/Ft. Worth, Texas, United States
I'm mom to 3 beautiful children, wife to a wonderful man who is the love of my life and grandmother, "Nonna", to a beautiful grandson. Like too many others out there, I am the mother of an addict. I am still learning to deal with things in a healthy way and have a life inspite of the insanity that addiction produces. I am very blessed to have found this community of amazing people that share so much of themselves with us all through their blogs. You are all an inspiration to me. I share your struggles, your pain, your joys and all your hopes. I pray for the addicts still out there suffering and for the people that love them the most. My heart felt thanks to each & every one of you! May God's mercy and grace be with us all, Kristi

Thursday, December 23, 2010

Interesting Little Tid Bit...

Life has, as usual, been crazy busy!! I am officially on vacation until the 4th...YAY!!  I need it desperately.  I plan to do a little blogging while being off next week, but for now I think I can safely say that all has been pretty good and quite....my daughter is in counseling and loving it, Jacob has been back with his girlfriend and my grandson since late October...they seem to be doing fine (hope it continues!) and me?  Well, I'm now in therapy too.  Can't say I was surprised when the doctor that my husband and I went to see for my daughter, ended the session by asking me if I'd ever been in counseling and then said, "you need to be!"  So, all is going okay for now and I'm enjoying the reprieve and praying it lasts!

So, here's the interesting little tid bit that I want to share....  Our baby wasn't walking just yet at his 1 year old check up, so our pediatrician and I were talking about ages that babies begin to walk.  He told me that people tend to be hard wired in certain areas and that babies that walk earlier, rather than later, tend to be more risk takers as they get older.  I said, OH REALLY?!?!  Because my oldest (Jacob) is my risk taker.  Our pediatrician smilled and said, "And I bet he's the one that walked at 10 months."  And, he was right!!  He went on to say that my 1 year old seemed to be "right there" and that he would walk soon.  He said that some babies (the ones that walk early) tend to just let go and walk without really thinking about it and the ones that walk a little later, like our 1 year old, could do it, but they tend to stop and think first and that's what slows them down a little.  A child that stops and thinks?!?!  I'll take it!!!!  Our baby is now walking.....officially at 13 1/2 months old!  Anyway, I found this rather interesting.....  I'm curious...did any of your "risk takers" walked earlier or later?

My wish for you all is that it is a peaceful and joyous Holiday season...Merry Christmas to you all and may 2011 be everything we hope for!!!

7 comments:

  1. Interesting. My addicted son walked at 10 months, too. I never really thought of him as a risk taker, but I can see the connection. Things that make you go hmmmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wishing you a Happy New Year!

    My addicted son walked on his first birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Counselors have some unique ways of getting our attention. The first one I went to regarding my addicted child asked me, "Who in your family drinks?" Ouch!

    I just looked my the fact that my son began walking at 11 months! He is addicted to meth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My son, who is not an addict, walked at 10 months. He never learned how to crawl. My daughter, who is an addict, crawled when she was 9 months old, but did not walk until she was 13 months old. I am not sure if you can draw any conclusions from this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My babies all walked around 14 months or so old. But that doesn't mean none of them aren't risk takers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Blake walked at exactly 9 months. By 9 1/2 months he was running down the hall - has a nice big scar on his eyebrow from it. I think 5 stitches. I did recently hear that kids that do not crawl (Blake didn't) are at way higher risk of ADD/ADHD. I have also heard that babies that walk early and do not crawl are risk taker's as well. My younger son didn't walk until he was about 13 months. He is 12, great student, and not by any means a risk taker. Total opposite. So your Doctor would be right on with my two! Are you talking about your Grandson or is this your son?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tori, assuming there is possibly some truth to this then it's good news for both my youngest and my grandson!! Both crawled for a while and both walked at over 12 months. My little one walked at 13 1/2 and my grandson walked a little before turning 13 months...so, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this means neither will be risk takers or have ADD/ADHD!! I don't know if I've mentioned before but Jacob was diagnosed with ADHD at 5 and I was told he was a text book case.

    ReplyDelete